10/12/2007

Researching for a seminar...

I soon have a Seminar to give in my Topics in Cross-Cultural Communications class, and it's got me anxious. Once again, in doing research, I'm finding a real lack of literature on my proposed study. My topic concerns exchange students in our Radio and Television Arts program, and the challenges and difficulties they face while studying with us. Not only do communication problems come into play, there is the issue of technical knowledge - a lot of our equipment takes years on which to become proficient, and these students visit us for a maximum of 3 months - and the clique-ish nature of RTA. Anyhow, literature abounds where foreign exchange programs are concerned, but nothing related to foreign exchange programs in hands-on, practical degrees. Have I truly stumbled upon a void that needs to be filled? The thought of contributing original research to my field is so exciting. I hope I'm looking in all the right places, since I really am finding nothing in the way of secondary sources. Therefore, primary research will be a must in preparing for this seminar, so I'd better apply to the Ethics Review Board!

No comments: