10/28/2007

Mondo Elvis...

I've been meaning to write a bit about Mondo Elvis, the little feature we discussed in class. I'm always a little bit squeamish when I view docs or shows that focus on fans and fan behaviour, what with my past dabblings in the music industry (and my first-hand interaction with pretty creepy, often dangerous fans). Doing research for a project like that would be quite problematic, I would think, because the filmmaker would be going into the project with a very specific bias on fans. If it were me, with my negative views on fan behaviour, there is no way that the short could portray fans in a positive light. I haven't yet seen a work that portrays fans as anything other than gushing, overly-dedicated human novelties. Perhaps I'm a little too close to the subject material at hand to be objective about the usefulness of such a film as Mondo Elvis. it makes me question how one can effectively do research on such a subject, especially if it were me with the bias I have.

No comments: